App update: Visit site for the full post.

• I rely heavily on the WordPress app and get a lot of comments, views, and participation by interacting with the community.

Since the WordPress app updated for iPhone and my computer several days ago, I get this message when viewing my own content via the app
    Visit A Simply Enchanted Life for the full post.

Several have reached out to me to inform me of this. I have not changed any of my settings.

My reading settings are set to Full Text

Everything worked properly before this last update.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello there, To the best of my knowledge, the Reading settings only affect feed readers and the email sent out to followers, not visitors to your site or when a post is viewed in the Reader.

I don’t know what changed in this last iOS update, so I’ve tagged this for Staff attention.

• Hi there,

Where exactly do you see this? In the main Reader list, or if you tap on a post from your site to open it on its own in the screen?

Can you please take a screen shot of that message and upload it to a service like Cloudup.com or snag.gy for me? Then paste the link here so I can view the screen shot.

I notice your theme uses excerpts. Are you setting manual excerpts for posts, or using the more-tag on your posts, or are those the excerpts that are automatically generated by the theme?

• This is a problem with the WordPress Reader that I am seeing this.

Visit A Simply Enchanted Life for the full post.
    The owner of this site only allows us to show a brief summary of their content. To view the full post, you’ll have to visit their site.

Here’s a picture of the problem
    https://www.asimplyenchantedlife.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/error.png

• Is that in the WordPress app? It looks more like the browser view to me. And that’s the single post view, not the main Reader feed.

What is the exact version of your app, and on what device are you using it?

You also didn’t answer the other questions I asked above:

Are you setting manual excerpts for posts, or using the more-tag on your posts, or are those the excerpts that are automatically generated by the theme?

• Your posts appear in full in the mobile apps for me, both on iOS and Android. But in the Reader it shows only what appears to be the custom excerpt you set on your site. Can you please confirm?

• The above picture was for the windows app. Which updated several days ago. Until then, I was able to read full posts there.

Yes, the excerpts are built into my theme. I do not have to use the “read more”

However, my wordpress app on Iphone 6s plus (version 7.5) is also showing just an excerpt for me. Which is part of the problem.

I will remove the app from my phone and reinstall to see if it fixes it since it is working properly for you.

• Excuse me, the iphone version is wordpress 7.6.

• We viewed your site on the iOS app and it shows the full post for us. Let me know if re-installing doesn’t make a difference there.

In the Reader on the web we see the excerpt only, and we’re looking into that :)

• Reinstalling the iOS app has corrected the problem for that app. Ty for looking into it!

• Excellent! Thanks for letting me know.

We’re looking into if anything changed regarding the Reader itself.

• Okay, that’s strange. I just went to check your site again, and now it’s showing full posts for me in the Reader in my browser. Did you change anything on your end?

If it’s still showing excerpts for you, can you please check if clearing your browser cache again makes any difference?

• I put a picture in my portolio on the site yesterday and noticed it broke my portfolio link.

I tried refreshing permalinks thinking maybe it became corrupt somehow. That’s the only thing I did. Hrmm. I can’t image how that would have fixed the reader.

Very curious.

• Update: I notice that my comments on the reader aren’t working now though :D

• Refreshing permalinks might have also caused your site’s cache to be cleared. Perhaps that caused the feed to refresh, but that’s just a guess :)

We don’t display comments for Jetpack sites in the Reader, no. We never have. If you search for your site via the Manage button and view only posts from your own site there you might see comments, but not in the main Reader feed.

• The topic ‘App update: Visit site for the full post.’ is closed to new replies.