Altofocus-Older Posts button now disappears

• Hi all, I’ve been following the problem with the older photos button on the github site https://github.com/Automattic/themes/issues/2179

As a result I changed my site Settings>Writing>Content types to display 150 posts per page (I have 234 published posts on my site).

In Firefox 79.0 (64-bit) on a Win10Pro v1909 PC, clicking the older posts button no longer loads additional posts at all; the button turns into a spinning wheel and then disappears without any further action being taken.

This is preferable to loading overlapping posts until the issue is resolved, but kindly add this thread to the github report list if it will help. Thanks.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Thanks, Jennifer. I’ve added this info to the issue.

• Thanks @kokkieh

Is there infinite scroll on AltoFocus? I would have thought so, but even without any widget in the footer area of my site (nothing in the Customizer), my Infinite Scroll setting tells me there is.

• As far as I know all WordPress.com themes should support infinite scroll. But it’s possible the bug that’s messing with the older posts button is messing with this as well.

• AFAIK the Older Posts button shouldn’t appear if Infinite Scroll were enabled. But that setting in MySites>Settings>Writing>Theme Enhancements>Infinite scroll is greyed out. “Your site has a “footer” widget enabled so buttons will always be used.”

But, on the site and in the Customizer there are no (visible) widgets in the footer.

(temp screenshots)

• Hm, that shouldn’t happen.

Have you tried kicking the widgets a bit by adding one, saving it, removing it, and saving again?

• Added a widget, saved the changes, exited the Customizer and then did it again after a few minutes to remove the widget, saved the changes, exited the Customizer.

Still greyed out with “Your site has a “footer” widget enabled so buttons will always be used.”

• I’ll see what we can find re: infinite scroll being unavailable on your site. I do wonder if it’s giving up because of how many posts it would need to load, though. I’ll do some testing on my own site, too.

• Hey @supernovia. The Infinite Scroll setting was also greyed out when I only had 12 posts per page. Tested now with 15 posts per page and that setting remains the same, greyed out.

What did change with fewer posts per page is that the Older Posts button appears and loads more posts with the overlapping posts issue.

• One of our developers have confirmed this is most likely related to the bug with the Older Posts button.

AFAIK the Older Posts button shouldn’t appear if Infinite Scroll were enabled.

That button is part of the Infinite Scroll feature, so this is all related – without any infinite scroll at all on a site you’d see pagination of the posts page, rather than an older posts button.

• OK-thanks. I’ll just continue following the issue on github then. :)

• Hi Jennifer,

This should be fixed now, but let us know if you still see any weirdness with infinite scroll.

• Thanks for letting me know. The Older Posts button now works as expected, loading the next set of images without overlapping them.

However, there is no “Infinite Scroll” available; the switch is greyed out.

At MySites>Manage>Settings>Writing>Theme Enhancements>Infinite scroll still shows

Your site has a “footer” widget enabled so buttons will always be used. Customize your site

As I mentioned above, there’s no footer widget enabled on my end.

• Okay, then it’s likely not related to the other issue. I’ve opened a bug report for this in https://github.com/Automattic/themes/issues/2345

• Thanks again, Herman.

Following the new report.

• The topic ‘Altofocus-Older Posts button now disappears’ is closed to new replies.