Aging themes

• Is there a way to tell the age or release date of a theme in the showcase, or a way to list themes in order of release? If I go to all the trouble of changing themes, I’d like to know the new theme isn’t going to be discontinued anytime soon.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

You can get the commit date of a theme by going to our Theme repository in Github and clicking on the history tab of that particular theme to see when it was released:

https://github.com/Automattic/themes

However, age is only one predictor of a theme’s impending retirement. There are many factors that go into a theme’s retirement, so I wouldn’t heavily rely on how old a theme is. Many of our current themes are optimized for the block editor, so they should be around for a while, but there is no surefire way to determine when they will retire.

Of course, you can continue to use a retired theme as long as you want, there just won’t be any more updates or bug fixes to the theme.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks, Darnell. This info should be helpful.

• In looking for a new theme, I found that my current one, Opti, has been discontinued. If I switch to a new theme but later decide I don’t like it, would there be any way to revert to Opti?

Also, I can’t find Beacon, the one I’m switching to, anywhere on GitHub. Is it about to be discontinued too?

• If you had Opti active on your site, you’ll be able to switch back to it, but I do recommend sticking with newer themes in general. :)

We don’t currently have any plans to retire Beacon.

• Thanks, mac. I have loved Opti for a number of years and reverted to it several times after newer themes didn’t work as well. Maybe Beacon will be a keeper.

• The topic ‘Aging themes’ is closed to new replies.