affiliate link

• I was recently accepted into an affiliate program for jill-e bags. I tried putting their html in a txt widget on my blog. The visual show up but doesn’t link through. This is my first time trying to do something of this nature and I would appreciate any help.

Thank you
    Deanne
    tryingtraditional.wordpress.com

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Please read these entries:
    TOS section 2, 5th bullet wordpress.com blogs cannot be used to drive traffic to third party sites http://wordpress.com/tos/
    No advertising at all except on VIP blogs http://en.support.wordpress.com/advertising/
    Types of blogs allowed and not allowed http://wordpress.com/types-of-blogs/

• If you wish to have a monetized blog you must hire a web host and get a free download of wordpress.ORG sogtware and self host it. https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/please-read-me-first-before-posting?replies=1

• Thank you, I wasn’t sure what was going on, but now understand.

• I looked up the url for the jill-e bags affilate program.

Join the jill-e design’s Affiliate program and earn money recommending our beautiful bags to all of your friends and customers.

Here’s the relevant section from Types of blogs allowed and not allowed that I linked to above:

Affiliate marketing blogs: Blogs with the primary purpose of driving traffic to affiliate programs and get-rich-quick schemes (“Make six figures from home!!”, “20 easy steps to top profits!!”, etc). This includes multi-level marketing (MLM) blogs and pyramid schemes. To be clear, people writing their own original book, movie or game reviews and linking them to Amazon, or people linking to their own products on Etsy do NOT fall into this category.

This is a no go at worpress.com. Here we cannot sell anything from our blogs that we do not create ourselves.

• timethief, I would assume this also would mean linking to Amazon products you use and want to recommend as well. I have no issue with the rules and will following the rules. Now I have to read up on what web hosting and wordpress.ORG are and if they are something I can do. Needless to say, I’ve blogged since 06, moved to wordpress from blogspot in 08 and have never moved much past posting from the dashboard. The banner edit was done by a friend in exchange for a dress for her little girl.

I do appreciate your time!

• Yes, the only exceptions are VIP hosted blogs and:

To be clear, people writing their own original book, movie or game reviews and linking them to Amazon, or people linking to their own products on Etsy do NOT fall into this category.

http://wordpress.ORG/hosting/

Best wishes for happy blogging. :)

• @tryingtraditional if you have a real blog with real content and real readers, we don’t mind the occasional affiliate link to a reputable store (Amazon being the textbook example).

The things that we absolutely don’t permit are: banner ads; MLM/network marketing/get rich schemes; fake blogs; and spam of any kind (i.e. unwanted bulk comments/blogs/posts/emails).

“real blog” is the key. Staff are willing to cut you some slack you have a real blog. If you’re not sure, contact support and ask – they won’t bite.

• @tellyworth
    Please clarify. She does not make the bags in question.

• Here is where I get confused. I am a legit blog and I feel jill-e is as legit as amazon (not a pyramid scheme, get-rich quick site, or stacking of affiliate credits.)

I’ve been blogging since we started the adoption of our daughters in mid-2006 and made the move to wordpress (good move, I love wordpress!) in June of 08. Iam casual blogger, I do not understand the hows and whys. I just like to go into “new post” type what I want to say, spellcheck, and hit publish. Some months I post 5 times a week, other months I am lucky to get 5 posts in. I’d say my average over the last year is 1300 hits per month. I am starting a 365 project with the hopes of forcing myself into learning how to use my camera and to have a year-long photo journal of sorts. I do expect readership to increase with posting daily, though not that much as I am pretty much just a mommy-blogger.

As I said before, I have no problem following rules. I signed up and agreed to them, and that is fine. It kind of surprised me I couldn’t link to the bag, I really like it and wanted to recommend it to readers that might be wanting to buy it. I would likely do the same with the occasional lens or even cookbook if I could figure it all out. But again, I have no problem following the rules :)

I’ve seen other blogs do it, but I admit to being pretty naive as to the .com vs. .org so it could have been self hosted blogs that are linking to product they use and like. I spent the last hour and a half trying to figure out words like “hosting”, “shell”, “FTP”, and the likes and I feel pretty confused and quite honestly do not want to mess with all that. The $20 a year I might make linking to jill-e bags would be eaten alive with fees from what I can tell.

• If it’s a reputable, relevant store (and not MLM), a single sidebar link, and a real blog, I don’t see a problem. The docs refer to Amazon specifically, but you can substitute another reputable store/site if there’s something more appropriate. If you have a real blog about fishing, then we don’t mind a referral link to your local fishing store that gets you a discount or credit or whatever.

Again, “real blog” is the key. WordPress.com is for blogs. If your blog is a real blog that real people actually want to read, the odd affiliate link is no big deal – worst case, if it attracts some complaints, we might ask you to tone it down a little.

The kinds of things the rules are intended to prevent are (including but not limited to) people who make many blogs, cookie cutter blogs with fake or stolen content, blogs plastered in blinking PTC banners, get rich quick schemes/scams, monetize your way to whiter teeth, guys in Elbonian internet cafes paid to create blog after blog after blog, and so on. Web pollution.

Writing rules that catch those guys while leaving everyone else in the clear is hard, probably impossible. So we have to be a little vague.

nb: clickbank, usercash, CJ and other pay-per-click services are so thoroughly drenched in spam juice that I’d advise against them even if your blog and usage falls within the rules, simply because you’re likely to get caught in the crossfire.

I’ll ask Mark to chime in and confirm what I’ve said, since he usually makes the final call on individual cases.

• Thanks so much Telly :)

• What tellyworth says is right. Your blog is sound.

“guys in Elbonian internet cafes” made me laugh.

• What tellyworth says is right. Your blog is sound.

“guys in Elbonian internet cafes” made me laugh.

• He made me laugh also. Thanks for the clarification you two. :)

• Thank you everyone, I really do appreciate the input and will mark the thread resolved. (BTW, I too got a chuckle out of that one.)

• I know this blog has been ‘resolved’ but just wanted to chime in a thanks to tellyworth for the explanation.

• My blog has been suspended.
    It was a damn real blog where i was giving my advices and sharing my experience for online investors.
    In the blog there were some links with my referral in it (affiliate links), and it was mainly due to having the chance to better help ppl that eventually would have subscribed under me.
    It was *not* created to make money, nor to drive ppl to websites (as the disclamer clearly said), but still it has been suspended.

I asked for some clarifications and all i got (twice..) was a copy paste of the rules.
    I didnt even had the chance to have a clear answer nor to fix it and eventually remove banners or links or whatever the problem was.

I must say im really disappointed for the awful support service of wordpress.

• @testhyip for future reference please don’t hijack forum threads

If your blog was hosted here at WP.com you would have received a message on your dashboard with a link to contact staff we as forum volunteers can’t and won’t help with this kind of matter for the sole purpose this is between you and staff so please re-frame from posting any future postings or threads pertaining to your blog suspension and use the contact link to get a hold of staff and just in case you don’t have the link you can contact them through this link http://support.wordpress.com/contact

• “People that eventually would have subscribed under me” = MLM or pyramid scheme. Even if you really believe in that business, the fact is that Automattic staff do not, so you must not make blogs for them here.

• The topic ‘affiliate link’ is closed to new replies.