Adding Social Media Buttons to Header or Menu BAr

• Author

fuxwithit
    Original poster

Hi,
    I just started a wordpress.com site and I am trying to add social media buttons to the top right side of my header. I am using the Expound Theme. If not, is it possible to add social buttons to the menu bar. I posted this in the general support Forum and was advised that I may be able to do this by creating the social media buttons in a text widget (I know how to do this part) then editing the CSS to move them. I was advised to ask how to do this here.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Colin

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

Hi Colin, one of our Happiness Engineers just covered adding social icons to the menu in another thread here in the forums: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/add-facebook-icon-to-the-access-bar-in-twenty-eleven?replies=7#post-1599527 .

Since you are using a responsive width theme that adjusts its width to the browser window width or screen width it is being viewed on, I would suggest putting them into the menu instead of trying to put them in the header area. On responsive width themes, putting them into the header area is problematic.

The brief rundown on doing this:

1. Create Custom Links in your custom menu for each social icon you wish to add. If you are not yet using a Custom Menu, you will need to create and use one.
    2. Look at the source code for your site at view source from the browser view menu or use the web inspector built into your browser and determine the unique menu item classes for your social menu items.
    3. Using the code referenced in the other forum thread as a guide and create the CSS rules you need.
    4. Adjustments to some of the settings will likely be required. If you need help with that, please let us know.

The topic ‘Adding Social Media Buttons to Header or Menu BAr’ is closed to new replies.