Adding plugins

• Author

kitslife

I’m confused. Sorry newbie here. I want to add a plugin that I found on wordpress.org but it says you add it through the Plugin tab. I can’t see one on my account and the widgets list that is the default in my wordpress account doesn’t have a way to add any additional widgets.

If they are listed on wordpress.org should you not be able to add them to your wordpress blog? Also, where do I find the plugins tab so I can put the timezone widget on my blog.

Thanks in advance.

You cannot add plugins to blogs hosted on wordpress.com. The plugins at wordpress.org are only for blogs that are self-hosted using the software downloaded from wordpress.org.

kitslife

I didn’t realize there was a difference between the two. So if I understand you correctly .org is for those who most likely have their own domain?

Having my own domain is where I want to eventually get to but thought I would do a friends/family blog for practice first. So much to learn… thanks!

bubel
    Staff

For clarification on the difference between .com and .org, please refer to the following FAQ article –

http://faq.wordpress.com/2006/05/07/wordpresscom-vs-wordpressorg/

teck07

Also .org is were they pay for a hosting provider…

getintouch

There is a guy who has got his blog hosted on wordpress.com and he actually has a plugin installed called SyntaxHighlighter (joshuajava.wordpress.com). I thought it is not possible. Can somebody explain that to me? Thanks.

raincoaster

Um, can you explain to me what Syntax Highlighter does? Looks like a perfectly normal WP.com blog to me. Lots of things are possible at WordPress.com, but installing plugins isn’t one of them.

What you are seeing on that blog is the use of the the code-displaying “shortcode” WordPress.com has provided for us to use here. It allows us to display code within out blogs and will highlight syntax for a large variety of languages.

http://faq.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/how-do-i-post-source-code/

The topic ‘Adding plugins’ is closed to new replies.