Add photos to blog from my laptop, not online service. Offline blog questions.

• Author

l1ndave

I recently got a domain thru WordPress for my blog. I have been blogging with WP for years but have been having increasing trouble with working offline. I’ve been using Blogo which is no longer supported (but still worked the last time I used it). I NEED an editor that I can use offline and one that I can insert photo’s that I have on my laptop/iPad. I do not use online services for storing photo’s, I prefer to have them on my device.

I’ve spent hours online (while at home) looking through editors that are available that not only work with WP, but with Mac. Not too many that can be used offline and some are pretty expensive. I’d be happy (I think) if the WP app could be used but still need more practical access to my photo’s.

I got the WP app for my Mac laptop but I see no way to insert photo’s from my laptop. One of the options for where to get media from is WP itself. From what I can see, I would have to upload ALL my photo’s, then pick and choose which ones I want to use. I am at sea a lot and being connected to internet for hours is not an option.

Thank you,
    Linda

The blog I need help with is lindavesadventures.com.

Hi Linda –

On devices that have a camera such as a tablet or a mobile device the WordPress app will allow you to pull those images in an offline mode on to your drafted post directly from the camera.

What options do you see listed when trying to add media with the Mac app?

l1ndave

Hi, sorry I’ve taken so long to get back to you, I do appreciate your help!

I see WordPress Library, Google Photos Library and Free Photo Library. There’s no option to pull the photos from my laptop. I want to use the app on my laptop, not on my tablet or phone.

Linda

fstat
    Staff

Hi there,

There’s an Upload button that allows you to insert photos from your computer.

Please make sure to update to the latest version of the app (v. 4.2.0) from the link below:

https://apps.wordpress.com/desktop/

l1ndave

This does not help me at all. I need to be able to do this while offline. ie: NOT connected to the internet.

If I could put an image in here, I would so you could see the screen shot I took of the WP app (which is current) that shows a blank screen with a yellow bar across the bottom that says “! You have no connection to the internet. WordPress.com will start once our connection has resumed”.

This tells me that I cannot use this app on my laptop while offline.

Linda

Linda –

Can you take a screen shot of what you’re seeing in offline mode when using the Mac app? Here’s how you do that:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/make-a-screenshot/

Then, you can link that screen shot here in your next reply with something like CloudUp or snag.gy.

l1ndave

Hi Liz,

I’ve made a screen shot but have no way to get it included in here. The websites you suggested require registering for and I’d prefer not to do that. So, I put it on my blog. It’s the entry that says “Ignore…test for offline use”. Here is the link:
    https://wordpress.com/post/lindavesadventures.com/7413

Linda

kokkieh
    Staff

Hi Linda,

The app shows a notice when you are not connected to the internet, but you can still use it to create new draft posts. Those will then sync to our servers the next time you use the app with an active connection.

But you cannot access your site’s media library while offline, as that media library is on our servers, not on your device. And you cannot add images to posts from your iPad while offline, as there’s no way for the images to upload to our servers without an internet connection.

The WordPress desktop app always require an active internet connection to use, as does the browser interface.

WordPress.com is a web-based service, and no data related to your site is stored on your device. It’s stored on our servers, and as such require an internet connection to access it.

If you want the ability to write posts while offline, I recommend you use something like the blogging feature built into Microsoft Word instead:

https://en.support.wordpress.com/xml-rpc/

l1ndave

Ok, I officially give up on this. Using Word looks too complicated and it also looks like you still need to be online to use, particularly with photo’s. I’m going to have to continue to hunt around to find some way to do this offline. I do hope that someday WP comes up with a way to do this offline. Not all of us are connected 24/7.

Thank you for your help,
    Linda

l1ndave

Adding in an addendum to my post above. I found elsewhere on here that I CAN use the app on my iPad to write a draft. It was expanded info on what Liz had said I could do. There is a way to “insert” the pictures and once I connect online to WP, it automatically uploads the complete post.

Linda

The topic ‘Add photos to blog from my laptop, not online service. Offline blog questions.’ is closed to new replies.