Add an Automated Table of Contents Feature using Headings Tags

• Author

vsajewel
    Original poster

I would like to be able to have WordPress generate an automatic Table of Contents for long posts or pages based upon the headings tags I use. This would be used to help Readers navigate around very long articles.

Currently the only method of doing this is to use jumplinks. But jumplinks are both time-consuming and inaccurate. By inaccurate I mean that depending upon what text you use as the anchor, the jumplink itself will only navigate close to, and not exactly at the correct place you want Reader’s to land at.

Even WordPress.com Support would benefit from this feature as jumplinks are currently being used here for Table of Contents too.

Correct me if I’m wrong because I don’t know much about coding. It seems to me like this would be a super easy feature for actual programmers to add. It also appears that adding a simple way for users to create great navigational tools for Readers would have significant appeal for many users, given how frequently TOC’s are encountered online today. In addition to WordPress Support, all of Wikipedia uses TOC’s that appear at the beginning of posts.

For me the most compelling reason would ultimately be to save time (for both me and my Reader’s.) But, really I guess I mean that it would allow me to even consider adding Table of Contents to my longer webpages. Currently, even though many of my pages might benefit from them, I don’t usually add them because it just takes me too much time to generate one.

I estimate that(now that I’m somewhat up to speed on how to create and use jumplinks,) it would generally takes me roughly 8 hours to add one simple Table of Contents that includes hot links to the beginning of a post. Since oftentimes my posts take a week or two to write…that extra day is hard to add to the overall timeframe.

The blog I need help with is: vsatips.wordpress.com

timethief

Thanks for posting your suggestion here. Staff automatically review all suggestions in this Ideas Forum. If they decide to accommodate they will contact you at the email address you registered your account with at https://wordpress.com/me/account

The topic ‘Add an Automated Table of Contents Feature using Headings Tags’ is closed to new replies.