90% Drop in Site Traffic

• Hi,
    My views have dropped in the last ten days by 90%. I was averaging 225-250 views a day and yesterday was 37. I post every day, nothing has changed. I asked the community on the feedback board previously and they said I was using too many tags, so I went back and edited my last 100 posts to make sure they had 15 or fewer tags (I was unaware that was a thing before; I’m sort of new to this still). My question is: am I blacklisted for good, or does this right itself eventually? Should I go back and right the other 750 posts (I’m really hoping for a no on this lol). I just kind of feel deflated that all my site traffic was gone possibly because of something I wasn’t even aware was a problem. Any advice would be appreciated. If I just need to calm the frick down and wait, that’s good to know too.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hey.

We have been facing a drop in traffic too. !!
    Weird that I did the same change on the tags but nothing worked.

• It’s the blogpocalypse!

• No response yet from WordPress ….

• This happened to me several months ago. I went down around 70-80% and have stayed down. To do how with Google counts search results, I’m fairly sure.

• Are your sites image rich? And did you formerly receive many image search referrals that have now diminished? If your site is image rich then are the images your own originals or are they stock images also found elsewhere on the internet?
    http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2013/02/01/google-image-search-redesign-raises-ire/

Is your text unique or is it duplicate content that can also be found on other sites? The Google Penguin algorithm can detect duplicate content. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

• Have you logged into your Google webmasters account and checked it out to see if there is anything there that addresses this issue?

• I can’t get Google to verify my site. Every html code they send me is rejected when I upload it to WordPress, but it is connected to my Google Plus account so go figure. Images are usually stock; text usually mine. I’d get a few hits from the image search but most were for text. It’s kind of maddening.

• I can’t get Google to verify my site.

This is the process we have to use for WordPress.com blogs http://en.support.wordpress.com/webmaster-tools/

• The same thing’s been happening to me. I run a movie review site, fairly new. I was averaging about 10 – 12 visitors a day, and it’s been steadily dropping since Monday. Today, it’s 1PM and I haven’t gotten a hit yet.

• This is to let you know I have tagged this thread for Staff. Please subscribe to the thread so you are notified when they respond and please be patient while waiting.

• Ok, for whatever reason, it did verify it so that’s cool….but I can see a drop from 3,500 impressions on 8/5 to 700 on 8/13.

• July 24 – 400 impressions
    August 13 – 150 impressions

• lol it is cool to know that I’m not alone in my madness, FR12, I’m following you out of solidarity!

• @timethief: interesting pointers and the first time I have seen anything that explains this collapse. It doesn’t bother me. But I do not massage my numbers and am not playing any kind of traffic-winning game.

• Hi sleeplessdave, adz2, davidderrick and filmreviews12,

I do not see anything on your blogs that will cause you to lose traffic. Everything looks good on our end.

Keeping your tags to a smaller number is a good idea. When you have more tags, that will adversely affect your placement in the WordPress.com Reader. Using no more than 10 categories + tags combined is a good rule of thumb, and definitely no more than 15. For more information on this, see:
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/topics/#missing-posts

There’s no reason to go back and change old posts, as the Reader is always displaying new content.

Otherwise, it could be any number of things, including the fact that it’s August and a lot of people are on vacation in the US and Europe. It’s possible that another site was linking to you and that ended. It could be that Google changed something. There have been some ISP issues, particularly in the UK, that have affected WordPress.com sites, so if that’s a large source of your traffic, that could explain it as well.

Or it could be solar flares and planetary alignment. (Just kidding on the last one). Seriously, though, trying to build and maintain blog traffic is an industry unto itself, and it’s hard to always master all of the tricks.

All I can really do is confirm that nothing’s broken on our end, and wish you the best of luck! :)

• @davidderrick
    What I posted was just based on guess work. If you want to dig deeper make sure you have not linked to bad neighborhood sites. This tool will scan the links on your website, and on the pages that your website is linking to, and flag possible problem areas.

Important Note: This tool is intended as a guide to assist webmasters in locating potential problem areas with their linking strategies, it is not intended to dictate who you do or do not link out to. Please read more at the Bad Neighborhood Clarification post on the Bad Neighborhood blog.
    http://www.bad-neighborhood.com/text-link-tool.htm

• I don’t use any more tags than usual… No alerts or errors with Google Webmaster. Guess I’ll just wait and see.

• Same here. Everything in the 10-14 tag range last 100 posts and Google says we’re cool

• The topic ‘90% Drop in Site Traffic’ is closed to new replies.